Friday, June 24, 2011

Who Knew a Simple Quilt Could Bring Such Joy

Who knew a simple quilt could bring such joy

In the last few years I have been learning how to sew, one of my first projects was a block quilt and was very simple and easy to create. The quilt turned out to be a big hit with the kids in my life. They use them to not only cuddle but they also use them to cover their homes and forts. They bring them to the park, in the car. So I thought I’d share this simple pattern with you today.

You will need:

· Sewing machine

· Thread

· 1 -1 1/2 yards (yards depends on the size of the quilt) of two different types of fabrics for the squares.

· 1-1/2 yards of fabric for the back the size also depends on the size of the quilt.

· Batting

· Fabric scissors

· Ruler

· Paper and pen (for a pattern square)

· Iron and Ironing board

· A big flat surface or at least enough space to lay out the pieces.

I like to use all sorts of different fabrics and colors but in my experience the coziest quilts have been made of soft flannel type fleeces. I really enjoy going to different fabric stores, sometimes I just get lost in all the different kinds of cool kids fabrics.

Just a side note

I like to Iron the fabric before and after every cut and before and after I sew a piece together. I find it makes the squares easier to sew together and it makes the quilt look crisp and clean at the end.

After finding two contrasting fabrics cut them into squares once again the size of the squares depends on the size one wants the finished quilt to be.


I like to use 7x7 or 8 x 8 squares, approximately 8 to 15 squares of each fabric and 16 to 30 squares total. This also depends on the size of the child that I make the quilt for. Next I like to lay the squares out on a flat surface so I can see how I want them to look.

Once that is done and the arrangement is good, I start sewing the squares together row by row, then the rows together one after another until the front of the quilt is sewn together. I then iron over the big piece again making sure all is nice and flat.


Next, I take the fabric piece for the back and the finished front, place the fronts facing each other (right sides) together. With one of the wrong sides (back side) facing you then cut the batting to mach and put it on top. Sew all three pieces together leaving a small opening to pull the quilt right side out.

Last but not least iron over it one more time and either machine sew the gap, used to pull it through or one can hand stitch it closed.

I love making these simple quilts they make great gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment